We raise a commercial herd of Black Angus crosses and Murray Grey breed animals. We also have a smaller herd of Murray Grey pure-breds. We chose Black Angus for their well known reputation in the US for a high degree of marbling and tenderness. Murray Grey is a combination of Australian polled beef cattle, Angus, and short-horn breeds that was developed in the upper Murray River Valley on the New South Wales/Victorian border. We select only the prime animals for sale direct to the consumer. Our ranch is virtually a closed operation with all of the cattle being born and raised on family ranches. Our steers and heifers are raised totally on pasture to weights of 1,100 – 1,200 pounds or larger. We monitor our animals health & weight gain to assure the best development possible.
The Richards Grassfed Beef operation is certified by the American Grassfed Association and uses primarily USDA certified beef processors to prepare our product for sale.
Our mission is to provide the highest quality grass fed beef to our customers and do so in the most transparent and sustainable way possible. Our animals are never fed grain, corn products, given antibiotics or growth hormones. Our ranch manager, Daryl Glenn, has over 30 years experience in the cattle and sheep ranching. He and the Richards Grassfed Beef Team are dedicated to providing the highest quality care for our animals to reduce stress and ensure proper care and feeding:
• Cattle are grass-fed and grass-finished
• Cattle are born and raised on the ranch
• Cattle graze on 6,600 acres of lush, green, natural grasses
• The ranch has warm days, cool nights, above the Sacramento Valley fog
• Cattle have an intensive rotational grazing system
• Cattle drink spring water that flows on the ranch
• Pastures are never artificially fertilized
• Cattle are never fed hormones or antibiotics
• Cattle are not taken to feedlots to be “finished,” – they fatten on natural grass
Grass fed beef is high in beta-carotene, Vitamin E & B, essential Omega 3 fatty acids, Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), and Trans Vaccenic Acid (TVA). Because grass fed animals are naturally leaner, the beef is also lower in cholesterol and calories than commercially raised corn fed beef. Eating grass fed beef is the right decision for your health & the health of your family!